A Guide to Work Injury Compensation

Posted by admin on May 17, 2012 at 8:29 am. Filed under: Accident at Work

All workers in the UK have certain rights with regard to their safety in the workplace. Indeed, if you sustain an injury or illness at your place of work because your employer has been negligent in some way then you may well be entitled to make a claim for work injury compensation.

There are many different types of injury or illness that can be claimed for, and many ways in which an employer can demonstrate negligence in their duty of care. In fact, the most common physical injuries that are sustained in UK workplaces are slips or trips, manual handling accidents and falls from height. However, conditions such as dermatitis and carpal tunnel syndrome are also becoming increasingly frequent as well. Psychological injuries such as anxiety, stress and depression also account for a substantial number of working days lost due to ill health.

Regardless of what some litigiously-minded people may tell you, if you suffer with an injury or illness at work, your first consideration should always be your health. Even if you feel that a work-related injury or illness is relatively minor, you should always seek out qualified medical attention before you make any report.

The reason you should do this (aside from making sure you’re OK) is that you must be able to prove that you have been injured in order to make any kind of claim for personal injury compensation. Obtaining immediate medical treatment will prove that you have sustained an injury attributable to your work as a note of it will be made in your medical records.

Once you have received adequate medical treatment, you need to report your accident or incident in your employer’s Accident Report Book. The account you write is important as it will be used to support any compensation claim you make. It is worth remembering that you only need to record the facts in your report (i.e. you don’t need to apportion any blame). Make sure you retain a copy your report once you have finished writing it.

If you are absent from work due to your injury or illness for longer than three days then your employer is legally obliged to report it to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). Although an HSE investigation does not in any way guarantee a successful compensation claim, it is fair to say that their findings could significantly help your cause.

If ever you do suffer with a work-related accident or illness, make sure you get in touch with us here at Fosters Solicitors. We operate on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis, so you can be sure that we will not take a penny if you lose your claim and will give you every single cent if you win. Certainly, you can rest assured that you have nothing to lose and everything to win when you make a personal injury compensation claim through us.

Explore our pages further or call us now on 0151 3429828 to find out more.


Making a Personal Injury Compensation Claim after a Motorbike Accident

Posted by admin on May 7, 2012 at 8:05 am. Filed under: Compensation Claims

There are few things that feel as liberating as riding your motorbike on a sunny afternoon. Certainly, the inherent thrill of being able to go so fast whilst all the while being relatively unprotected is what gives biking its unique appeal.

However, this is also what makes biking so potentially dangerous.

Indeed, it has been estimated that even though motorcycles account for a very small number of vehicles on the road, they are believed to be involved in around 20% of Britain’s road traffic accidents (RTAs).

Many drivers take an almost automatically negative view of bikers and believe them to be the cause of a great many accidents. However, the law makes no such assumptions. Indeed, motorbike accident claims are treated in the same way as claims involving cars. Therefore, if you are involved in an accident whilst out on your bike and you can prove that your injuries were caused by the negligence of another driver, you could well make a valid accident claim and receive compensation.

As with a car accident, you need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you sustained an injury as a direct result of someone else’s negligence in order to make a successful claim. The real crux of this is that you need to have suffered an actual injury. To be sure, it doesn’t matter a jolt if you can prove beyond any doubt that the other driver deliberately caused the accident; your claim will mean nothing if you cannot show that an actual injury resulted from the accident.

In fact, the only way that you can make a personal injury compensation claim without having a physical injury is to try and prove that the traumatic experience of the accident resulted in you suffering psychological damage. However, this option is seldom as successful as the physical injury route.

However, even if you suffered no ill effects at all, you can still make a separate compensation claim if your bike or any other equipment belonging to you was damaged because of the accident. Again though, you must be able to show that your property suffered actual damage.

If ever you do become involved in an accident whilst on your motorbike, make sure you get in touch with us here at Fosters Solicitors. We will provide you with friendly and professional support throughout your compensation claim, as we are dedicated to ensuring you receive any monies you are entitled to for your injuries.

Furthermore, because we operate on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis, we will not take a penny if you lose your compensation claim. Similarly, you can also be sure that you will receive 100% of your awarded compensation if you win. This is because our personal injury lawyers are paid directly by the insurers; therefore you can rest assured that your compensation claim won’t cost you anything at all.

Explore our pages further or call us now on 0151 3429828 to find out more.


Slips, Trips, and Falls in Public Places

Posted by admin on February 8, 2012 at 11:00 am. Filed under: Compensation Claims

Slips, trips, and falls account for a huge fraction of overall accidents in the home, in the workplace, at school, and elsewhere. They are amongst the most popular type of accident at work  claim and unfortunately, will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future. Although most falls and trips are preventable – sometimes very easily – those who hold the reins don’t always take the risks seriously.

It’s true that most slips and trips result in nothing more than a bruise or a skinned knee but they can also be far more severe. The elderly are particularly at risk, and any safety factor that could result in a broken hip or a nasty head injury should be taken very seriously indeed. At Fosters Solicitors we deal with all kinds of accidents from complex car crashes to simple trips.

Employers have a responsibility make sure that their workforce is protected from trip hazards. Clear walkways must be provided, especially where heavy loads are being carried or the possibility of a serious fall exists on a stairway or a rooftop, for instance. That possibility is well understood. What many people don’t know is that those who suffer slips, trips, and falls outside the workplace may also be eligible for injury compensation.

Naturally we all have a responsibility to keep our own house in order and make it a safe place to live, but there are many other places where we spend our time, and these may not be under our control. Supermarket forecourts are one example. Train platforms are another. If members of the public are invited into a particular space, the operator has an obligation to make it safe. If you’ve slipped or fallen in a public place, don’t hesitate to get in touch.